Prenatal Yoga, Mom Yoga, and Yoga for Anyone
What are the benefits of Ma Yoga for pregnancy?
Prenatal yoga is one of the few exercises that doctors recommend to start when pregnant (along with walking, which we highly recommend).
- reduces high blood pressure
- reduces stress, one of the major risk factors for preterm birth and other negative birth outcomes
- reduces common pregnancy-related aches and pains such as shoulder, wrist, and back
- prepares you for labor by teaching you how to connect to different parts of your body, make space for baby to move into optimal position, and breathe through intense sensations
- provides a support network with birth and parenting experts that can continue to nurture you into motherhood
- includes meditation, breathing, and alignment practices that can improve your ability to face the challenges of this time
- connects you with your baby and your body in a loving way
Please go to About Ma Yoga Prenatal Yoga to learn what makes Ma Yoga unique.
What are the benefits of Ma Yoga for moms?
Ma Yoga Mom + Baby classes mean you don’t have to leave home or even stop connecting with baby to build your body back better than ever.
- find more energy
- sleep better if you’re sleep deprived
- relieve your shoulder, neck, and back pain from bending over baby
- connect with other new moms
- weave your abdominals back together (safe for diastis recti, abdominal wall splitting)
- tone your muscles
- relax tight muscles
- get advice and guidance for each step of the way
- learn to deeply nurture YOU, so you can nurture your loved ones without feeling depleted.
Please go to About Ma Yoga to learn what makes Ma Yoga uniquely beneficial for moms.
What are the benefits of Ma Yoga for anyone?
Ma Yoga is based in alignment principles, which means it helps you step into your greatest possibilities physically, mentally and spiritually.
If you have aches and pains, you’ll learn how to make subtle shifts on and off the mat that get rid of your pain and keep it away.
If you’re anxious, you’ll discover simple tools to feel calm and grounded.
If you’re depressed, you will find the alignment uplifting and empowering.
The root “ma” means mother in every language.
The secret of Ma Yoga is that it doesn’t refer to becoming a mother.
It refers to learning to nurture ourselves, so that we can become powerful co-creators in our own lives.
When is it safe to start?
When you’re pregnant, you can start prenatal yoga the moment you get the positive test.
Ma Yoga® prenatal yoga is safe and effective anytime, and in our live online classes, our highly trained doula/Certified Prenatal Yoga teachers help you adapt to wherever you are on your journey.
Some people do prenatal yoga when they’re trying to get pregnant, to get in a nurturing space, open the body and support fertility.
If you’re a mom, as soon as the doctor gives you the ok to exercise is a great time to do Mom+Baby Yoga or Mom Yoga with us! This tends to be about 6-12 weeks after birth, depending on your birth.
The sooner the better. It’s important to guide the muscles back in their optimal direction, especially abdominals, so they heal correctly.
Is Ma Yoga strengthening?
Ma Yoga is alignment-based yoga. That means instead of trying to “get” a pose, we focus on what we’re doing inside the pose. Are we moving toward the natural curves of the spine? Are we stabilizing our joints before we stretch? Are we opening our heart center so we can keep breathing fully?
When we do these actions – called the Five Sacred Steps – we find both inner and outer strength.
If you’re pregnant, you need it – maybe now more than ever.
You’ll carry a bowling ball in your belly for months and then a bigger bowling ball in your arms, plus bags and a car seat.
Once you’re a mom, Ma Yoga classes help you reconnect to your core. Many of us have learned to do belly breathing, and forgotten how to engage our deep abdominals along the way. Especially for moms whose abdominal wall split during pregnancy, these breathing techniques are crucial to building your body back better than ever.
Is Ma Yoga all about "natural" birth?
Our beliefs about the birthing process are rooted in yoga. According to yogic tradition in its most mature period (800 CE), we are each expressions of the same amazing power, wisdom, and love: some call it divine consciousness, or energy, or nature, or god.
According to yoga, there is right way to do things. It’s about recognizing how are free we are to respond to life in whatever way we choose.
It’s making conscious choices that’s the yoga part, rather than finding ourselves dealing with the consequences of accepting “shoulds” or other people’s beliefs as truth.
When we have practices that help us connect to our authentic self, our choices create more truth, goodness and beauty in our lives.
So, Ma Yoga of course doesn’t teach any “right way” to do birth.
Instead, we support you in figuring out what’s right for YOU.
No matter where it is or who it’s wirth, we know any birth can be an empowering experience of growth and connection.
Through breathing, meditation, and alignment, you’ll find yourself making decisions that reflect your highest, most powerful, wise and nurturing “Ma” Self – and enjoying this exciting time a lot more!
What if I just don't have time for self-care?
Ma Yoga was created for overwhelmed moms and moms-to-be. It’s honed down to its most potent, transformative elements.
As a member, you have access to Ma Yoga Anytime, our library of over 100 practices you can search by duration. So even if you only have 10 minutes, you can change your day, your week, and your life.
Yes, you can find prenatal yoga videos on Youtube, but it’ll take a lot of time to sort through all the garbage.
Ma Yoga prenatal yoga teachers are highly trained doulas, and will get you right where you need to be to prepare for labor, relieve aches and pains, and enjoy your pregnancy.
If you’re an overwhelmed mom, our live online yoga classes were made for you. You don’t have to pack everything up and get in the car. You don’t even have to get out of your pajamas. Just click the Zoom link and be guided into a whole new place in your body, mind, and heart.
When you’re becoming a mom, you have all new motivation to change. You sense that this little being will learn everything – how to breathe, how to move, how to think – just by being around you.
It’s the perfect time to incorporate a home practice so you can be the “Ma” you want to be.
Who started Ma Yoga?
JESSICA JENNINGS, MS, ERYT, RYPT
Jessica Jennings is a Certified yoga teacher, Feminine Power Transformational Facilitator, and lifestyle educator. She created Ma Yoga for Pregnancy, Motherhood & Beyond in 2009: an internationally registered prenatal yoga school and tribe of experts who love to provide guidance, inspiration, and support for pregnant women and busy moms.
As a new prenatal yoga teacher in 2001, Jessica began to become passionate about pregnancy as a time of possibility. She saw how with the right kind of guidance, support, and inspiration, women can transform the challenges of this time into opportunities to step into their power, wisdom, and nurturing energy.
After using birth as guru for over 20 years, she now teaches keys to co-creation in her Ma Yoga for Anyone classes – whether you’re pregnant with a baby, an idea, or a vision for who you’re becoming.
Ma Yoga Living Membership
What comes with Ma Yoga Living Membership?
Ma Yoga Living Members have unlimited access to:
- MA YOGA® ANYTIME: Over 60 Ob/Gyn-approved searchable yoga practices designed specifically for pregnancy, postpartum and motherhood.
- LIVE ONLINE MA YOGA® CLASSES: FREE Ma Yoga for Anyone with Jessica offered twice per week, plus 40% off Prenatal, Mom, Mom+Baby and Kid yoga classes.
- CUSTOM PROGRAM: Select your goal for the week and receive specific practices to help you achieve it. Reset each week to get a new program.
- GUIDANCE: Pregnancy & New Mom for the challenges of this journey, as well as Radiant YOU Care Package guides with nurturing food, weight-loss and self-care routines you can do even on your busiest days.
- DIVE DEEPER: Receive 20% off premium programs – get help creating your unique Ma Meditation & Power Practice, enjoy a Happy Back in 5, and be part of the I WILL: Ideal Weight/ Ideal Lifestyle Lab.
- SUPPORT: Share in our “Ma Circle” when you need a answers or support from yoga teachers, birth and parenting educators, and healthy lifestyle coaches. If you need a little extra support, go to “Ask Dr. Shosh”, our mommy mood expert. Be part of a growing, global Ma community!
How much does membership cost?
Are there refunds?
Sorry, we do not do refunds, except in the case of pregnancy loss.
It’s expensive to run an online membership site and we don’t have investors. : )
Your are always welcome to gift the rest of your membership to someone else, OR, use the money you’ve paid as credit toward premium programs or teacher trainings.
Where can I get more information about becoming a member?
Just go to our Become a Member page.
Live Online Yoga Classes
What kinds of live online classes do you offer?
Ma Yoga is a unique method of yoga created specifically for women’s bodies and hearts that includes both alignment and flow.
Ma Yoga Certified teachers are the most highly trained prenatal and postpartum experts in the industry.
- Prenatal Yoga: Great from the moment you find out you’re pregnant until the moment you’re ready to push, and long after.Relieve common aches and pains, prepare for labor, make space for baby in body, mind and heart and connect inside and out so you can enjoy this exciting time.Most of our teachers are also doulas and postpartum experts, so you are in excellent hands and will get a lot of birth education and postpartum prep along the way.
- Mom + Baby/Mom Yoga is more for mom than baby (baby gets plenty of quality play time, but mom – not so much : ), so as soon as your doctor gives you the ok to exercise – come do what you can in between feeds and changes.The sooner the better – when baby starts to run around, you might find yourself crawling after them a lot.In these strengthening, releasing practices, you’ll let go of tension in the shoulders and neck from feeding and holding baby; reconnect to your core; and build your body back better than ever!During class you’ll be on mute, so don’t worry about baby sounds or stopping to feed or change.
- Ma Yoga for Anyone – Everyone is welcome (YES dads and grandmas!). Jessica loves guiding people through simple but transformative alignment actions within poses, so pain disappears, strength increases and a feeling of freedom opens up in body and mind.
The Ma Yoga Zoom Room is a casual, come-as-you-are kind of place. Pajamas ok, messy houses and moods fine.
All of our uniquely strengthening, therapeutic, and uplifting classes are safe and effective for all levels of yoga experience from beginner to teacher, trimesters, body types and fitness levels. Come connect!
How do I take a class in the Ma Yoga Zoom Room?
You are welcome to try a FREE online Prenatal, Mom, Mom+Baby or Ma Yoga for Anyone class in the Ma Yoga Zoom Room.
Just go to our Live Online Yoga Classes page to see our schedule and quick book your first FREE class. I’ll create your account for you and you’ll get your Zoom link and instructions.
For way more info about our live online yoga, go to our live prenatal yoga classes site, www.MaYoga.com where you’ll find our Schedule, Prices, and Class Descriptions.
How much do they cost?
Ma Yoga Living Members receive 40% off all Prenatal, Mom, and Mom+Baby yoga classes, all taught by birth and parenting experts:
- Single class:
- 5 classes:
- 10 classes:
Plus, members take Ma Yoga for Anyone with Jessica for FREE.
Quick book your first FREE class here.
Then, go to Member Discounts, copy the discount code, and go Live Online Classes to book and buy.
What can I expect in the Ma Yoga Zoom Room?
All Ma Yoga classes are:
- friendly and intimate, so you can receive personalized instruction for your body and needs
- alignment-based, so the poses will help you relieve aches and pains
- taught by expertsin the birth field so you’ll get birth and postpartum education as well
- come as you are. Messy houses and moods welcome. Come as you are. Pajamas ok. We are happy to have you no matter what.
I'm not a mom. Are there classes for me and my husband?
Where can I get more information about live online classes?
My back hurts. What should I do?
Back pain is no longer a mystery.
Many of us have lots of ideas about why our back hurts, but none of them are the actual cause:
- I sleep weird
- I work at a desk all day
- I have something wrong with me (bone spurs, slipped disk, scoliosis)
- I did an x-ray but there wasn’t anything there
- I had surgery/an accident/an injury once
- I have fused vertebrae
- I’m too tight
- I’m too flexible
The cause of all back pain is simple: misalignment.
When you have back pain, it’s your body telling you that you need to make a shift.
You’ve moved away from the natural curves of the spine, the stability and freedom that you were born with, and just moving back toward it will be healing.
The natural alignment of your muscles and bones is called your “the optimal blueprint”, and as you move toward it, you’ll get relief right away.
Aligning your spine will release over-working muscles, strengthen weak muscles, and make space so you can move freely again.
How do I learn to align my spine?
The 5 Minutes to a Happy Back Program is an easy-to-do, self-paced program that will relieve your pain and help you keep it away.
By the end, you will know how to:
- walk and sit and play without pain
- do rescue poses to help relieve and heal your back when it goes “out”
- make slight shifts in how you drive, sleep, and stand so you can keep you feeling amazing all day – and night.
You will be so amazed at how life-changing 5 minutes a day can be!
What are the modules of Happy Back in 5?
Each video is less than 10 minutes, and comes with PDFs and other support materials:
Step 1: ALIGNMENT PRINCIPLES
Understand WHY the Happy Back practice works, and how a simple shift back to your natural alignment can make all the difference in your comfort level.
Step 2: WHEN YOU’RE IN PAIN
What to do when your back seizes up, including simple Rescue Poses that jumpstart the healing process.
Step 3: THE HAPPY BACK PRACTICE
Takes about 10 minutes while you’re learning it, but you can do it in 5 with the PDF. OR, take your time, repeat some of your faves or stay with them longer, and enjoy your freedom to move!
Step 4: HAPPY BACK ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT, AND FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
Apply what we’ve learned to our most common poses: sitting, standing, and sleeping.
Step 5: WHAT’S NEXT?
We talk about the importance of core strength for staying in alignment, and provide resources to help you get it.
How much does Happy Back in 5 cost?
Happy Back in 5 is only $27, and members receive 20% off with your discount code.
Just login and go to Discounts to copy it.
How do I get more information about Happy Back in 5?
Just go to the Happy Back in 5 page.
Online Birth Class
I'm nervous about birth - what can I do from home to get educated and empowered?
The EMPOWERING BIRTH BUNDLE is a self-paced, six-week comprehensive, all-you-need birth class that will prepare you fully for birth and postpartum.
It comes with a free BREASTFEEDING ESSENTIALS: What You Need to Know BEFORE Baby Comes, a self-paced course, plus one month FREE Ma Yoga Living membership, so you’ll be able to prepare your body, your mind, and your heart for what’s to come.
You’ll also be able to get support from your instructor, a Labor & Delivery Nurse and birth and postpartum doula, in our Empowering Birth group as well as a one-on-one birth consult!
What does Empowering Birth come with?
When you register for Empowering Birth, you’ll have instant access to our:
- six-session self-paced, comprehensive birth prep course
- six eCoursebooks for easy reference
- Breastfeeding Essentials for BEFORE Baby Comes, our self-paced, 2-session course
- a free birth consult with Labor & Delivery Nurse/ Birth & Postpartum Doula/ Empowering Birth teacher Stefanie Castro
- our Empowering Birth group to share your birth journey and get support
- one FREE month of Ma Yoga Living membership, including:
- Ma Yoga Anytime: searchable library of Prenatal & Mom yoga for labor preparation, pain relief, opening space for baby and strengthening muscles and connecting to core power
- 40% off all live online classes, including Prenatal, Mom, and Mom + Baby
- Over 40 Care Package guides for each step of the way
- Ask Dr. Shosh, pregnancy and postpartum therapist
- 20% off off all self-paced programs, including Ma Meditation and Happy Back in 5
- FREE live online Ma Yoga Anytime classes with Jessica
- ongoing Ma Yoga Living membership for only $18/month after your first free month
What are the modules of Empowering Birth?
Each video is less than 10 minutes, and comes with PDFs and other support materials:
- Module 1 – Support:
Choose the Right Birth Team and Place for You
- Module 2 – Confidence:
A Road Map through Laborland
- Module 3 – Ease:
Labor Breathing, Movement & Other Coping Skills
- Module 4 – Power:
Prepare for the Unexpected
- Module 5 – Postpartum Bliss:
What You’ll Need (and Want!) after Birth
- Module 6 – Your Empowering Birth:
Birth Plan & Intentions Workshop
How do I get more information about Empowering Birth?
I'd rather have a live online birth class. Do you have this?
The Yoga of Birth is our live online labor education course and transformative, nurturing experience led by two senior Ma Yoga Certified teachers.
Rachelle Luczynski and Melanie Wachsman are both highly experienced birth and postpartum doulas who have supported hundreds of women in becoming happy moms.
You’ll be guided through the stages of labor, preparation exercises and pro’s and con’s of all the choices you’ll have using yoga philosophy, alignment, and practices to help you co-create a birth that’s deeply meaningful for you.
There’s no slant here – hospital, birth center, or home, drugs or no drugs, we believe passionately that the experience that matters ultimately is what’s happening within.
About Ma Meditation
I hate meditating but I know I need it. How is Ma Meditation different?
If you’re busy, you need something quick and easy to help you find your calm center.
Ma Meditation is:
- Fast: can be done in as little as 2 minutes, depending on how long we have in our “in-between” moment
- Simple: pares down meditation into easy breathing, mantra, and self-actualization elements
- Powerful: connects us to our big picture, and our “inner GPS”
How can I learn Ma Meditation?
We have a simple, easy-to-do self-paced program with 6 short videos that will take you step by step through the process of creating your own Ma Medition practice.
You’ll learn the 5 elements of meditation, and then pick and choose what works for your schedule, your experience level and your desires.
Just go to the Ma Meditation & Power Practice Program for more info and to register.
What exactly will I learn in Ma Meditation?
The Ma Meditation and Power Practice Program will take you step by step through the essential elements of meditation, so you can pick and choose from the menu and do just what works for you:
Step 1: Learn to BreatheIn this section, we will discover how to breathe in a way that nourishes us (and baby if baby’s inside).
When we lengthen the exhale and expand certain areas of the body, we send a message to the nervous system that everything is ok. Our parasympathetic nervous system kicks in, slowing down heart rate and lowering blood pressure. It also creates a vacuum for a naturally fuller inhale to feed every cell with oxygen and prana (the invisible forces that nurture the physical body).
We also want to breathe using our stomach muscles optimally, so we are not creating pressure outward which can cause diastasis recti and weak abdominal muscles.
When we breathe fully and consciously we feel at ease, connected, and grounded.
Step 2: Tools to Help You MeditateMeditation doesn’t mean stopping the thoughts – the mind will do it’s job no matter what. It means remembering that we are free to choose where to place our attention and understanding that whatever we focus on, grows.
In this section we receive tools – mantras – and learn how to use them to help us gently bring our attention back to the present. You can choose from the pdf list or learn to make up your own.
Step 3: Strengthen Your Meditation MuscleYou will find there are moments where we no longer need tools, and just on our own we find ourselves in our peaceful, blissful center. We are learning to be more present for what really matters in life, rather than missing moments worrying about the future or regretting the past.
Step 4: Manifest Your Heart’s DesireFrom the quiet space you’ve invited inside, and you begin to be more familiar with your deepest longings. This part of the practice helps us identify and begin to manifest all that we desire.
This is a magical step that is wonderful to share with children!
Step 5: Discover Your GiftsWe often make discoveries in our meditation practice that help us understand our lives better, and help us know what to do next. In this section we’ll make sure to harvest all the good stuff from our practice so we continue to become the divine Ma goddess we are inside!
How much does the Ma Meditation program cost?
The Ma Meditation program is only $27, and members receive 20% off with your discount code.
Just login and go to Discounts to copy it.
How do I get more information about Ma Meditation?
Just go to the Ma Meditation and Power Practice Program page.
About Intensives and Teacher Trainings
What is the Ma Yoga Certification Program?
The Ma Yoga Certification program is an 85-hour comprehensive deep dive into how to support women in their childbearing years with yoga, on and off the mat.
It fulfills the Yoga Alliance requirements for RPYT (Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher) Certification, but it’s so much more than prenatal yoga!
It’s really a way to understand how yoga changes – and needs to change – for the journey of motherhood.
You will understand how to:
- help moms feel nurtured, revitalize, and find their strong core again
- do simple, efffect practices to access your innate feminine power, wisdom, and nurturing energy
- incorporate Ayurvedic food, self-care and daily rhythm practicesfor vitality, energy, and health
- create pregnancy and mom-related themes to motivate students to see the possibilities
- receive marketing, business and emotional help for growing your own Mama Circle!
- create a meaningful, rewarding career path and offer your gifts fully
- use birth as a guru to become a powerful co-creator in your own life and relationships
- instruct with the Ma Yoga 5 Sacred Steps to help your students and clients get and stay out of pain
- use the nurturing energy from this community to help you become the powerful, wise, and nurturing “Ma” you want to be!
Is the whole Ma Yoga Certification Program available online?
Yes, the entire 85-hour Ma Yoga/Yoga Alliance Certificaiton program is available online right now.
It is possible that Yoga Alliance will no longer allow the full 85-hours to be done online after Covid-19, but we will continue offering it.
What are the individual trainings that Ma Yoga offers?
You are welcome to take a training for continuing education or just for your own growth and discovery.
Here are all the modules in the full Certification Program with links for dates and prices:
- The Yoga of Pregnancy and Postpartum Training – Travel through the trimesters using the Ma Yoga alignment principles (the “Five Sacred Steps”) to understand the physiological and psychological changes throughout this journey, and to get confident helping moms-to-be with adjustments, poses, themes for wherever they are on their journey. Learn to use birth as guru to discover the keys to co-creation in your own life. Please visit the Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training page or see the Event Calendar page for deets and to register.
- The Yoga of Healing for Women Training – Go deeper into the Ma Yoga alignment principles (“Five Sacred Steps”) to help relieve and prevent shoulder, back, knee and other joint pains, both on the mat and off. You’ll learn to teach alignment so that regular poses and sequences are therapeutic for aches and pains, and you can easily help your students feel better in them. We’ll also use our Five Sacred Steps to address conditions specific to the 18 months around birth, including infertility, diastasis recti, pelvic instability. Please go to the Therapeutics for Women training page, or see our Event Calendar for deets and to register. May be taken before the Yoga of Pregnancy.
After these two weekends, you can start your Ma Mentorship – a 2-month, one-on-one training with a senior Ma Yoga teacher to help you integrate what you’ve learned into your teaching through 3 phone calls and two videos.
You’ll also do class write-ups by taking our classes in the Ma Yoga Zoom Room – book your first free prenatal yoga, mom yoga, or Ma Yoga for Anyone practice!
- MAyurveda: Living Ayurveda for Women Training – spring 2021. This transformational online course was created for teachers who want to know how to support students, clients, and loved ones in finding radiant wellness – and enjoy it for themselves. We take our time over 6 weeks to explore ancient but potent “Anchor Practices”: nourishing and nurturing routines we can do even on our busiest days, that help us have more energy, sleep better, strengthen our immune system, and stay connected to nature’s cycles. You’ll use food, spices, true self care and daily rhythms to wake up the intelligence of your body and learn to use it as your guide. Go to the MAyurveda page or the Event Calendar for deets and to register.
- The Yoga of Birth – Our annual online live labor education course is taught by two senior Ma Yoga Certified teachers and highly experienced doulas. Be guided through the stages of labor, looking through the lens of yoga philosophy, alignment, and practices. This is optional – you can take a doula training or a childbirth educator training instead if you prefer. Go to The Yoga of Birth page or the Event Calendar for deets and to register.
I'm not sure the Ma Yoga Certification Program is right for me. How do I know?
Let’s talk. I promise I won’t do the hard sell, I’ll just get your questions answered and figure out if we’re a good fit.
Just schedule a call with me – I look forward to hearing where you’re at and what you’re looking for!
How do I get more information about Ma Yoga teacher trainings?
Just go to:
www.PrenatalTeacherTraining.com for an overview of the certification program. Click for each training page for descriptions and testimonials,
www.MaYogaLiving.com/Events to see the deets for each training and register for the full program or an individual training.
How can I get guidance for my whole journey?
Just let us know where you’re at here, and we’ll send you our weekly “Care Package” emails to help you with each challenge and choice ahead.
What if I feel like my "mommy moods" are getting out of control?
Please reach out to me at jess@MaYogaLiving.com.
You are never alone.
I will connect you with a wonderful, heart-filled therapist who can talk to you over Zoom, and help you understand whether what you’re feeling is normal or you might need a little extra support.
What kind of support will I get as a member?
As a member, you have direct access to ALL of our pregnancy, labor, birth, postpartum, breastfeeding, parenting, and healthy living experts.
Just login and go to the Community Forum and post in the Ma Circle with any questions or issues. Or reply to any email.
How do I contact you with questions?
I love hearing from you! Just reach out to me at email@example.com.